There is a taste of Christmas in these Vanilla Peppermint Cupcakes topped with peppermint buttercream and crushed candy cane.
- 1 box mix Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon Peppermint Extract
For Peppermint Crusting Butter Cream
- 1 cup shortening
- 6 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- pink gel food color (optional)
- crushed candy cane (optional for garnish)
- For Cupcakes: Heat oven to 350° and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, butter, water and extract using an electric mixer on low for one minute, then mix on high for one minute.
- Divide batter evenly into cupcake liners, filling each two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes and cool completely before frosting.
- For Peppermint Crusting Buttercream: Cream shortening and extracts in mixer for for 5-8 minutes on medium speed.
- Add powder sugar, one cup at a time. Slowly add in cream to desired consistency. More cream for a creamier frosting and less cream for a more still frosting (I prefer more still when I’m using it to pipe/decorate). Add just a little pink get food color, if desired, and whip until the color is well incorporated.
- To finish, scoop into a pastry bag fitted with a tip (Ateco No. 809 or Jumbo French Decorating Tip), pipe frosting on each cupcake: Garnish with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes..
Cupcakes are best eaten the day they are frosted; keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
We made a few into whoopie pies. I used my whoopie pie pan and baked cake batter for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely then top half of the “pies” with frosting and top with another “pie” to make a sandwich. Garnish sides with crushed candy canes.