Oh my goodness…You’ll make your entire family very happy with these adorable, savory cupcakes! They’re topped with dreamy, skinny mashed potatoes. Serve with some steamed vegetables or a salad and you’re set. Each meatloaf cupcake has 154 calories, 3 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints. Dinner on the table in 1 hour!
Have you ever made mini meatloaf muffins?
You just take your favorite meatloaf recipe and bake it in muffin tins and voila – meatloaf muffins!
To make my meatloaf muffins a little skinnier and healthier, I use quick cooking oats instead of bread crumbs, egg whites instead of whole eggs, and diced tomatoes instead of water.
I loooove meatloaf so so much! Meatloaf and mashed potatoes are my ultimate comfort food! I could probably eat the whole batch of these “cupcakes” lol! Did you see I made “pupcakes” that were meatloaf with mashed potato frosting for Jessie’s birthday Paw-ty last year? They were so fun! I put bacon bits over the top for sprinkles. The doggies wolfed them down!!
for 1 meatloaf cupcake
1g sat fat
1 pound (96%) extra lean ground beef or ground turkey, see shopping tips
1 slice whole wheat bread (I used Milton’s Multigrain bread)
1 cup onions, diced
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon spicy brown or yellow mustard (not Dijon)
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
¼ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon spicy mustard or yellow mustard
2 teaspoon brown sugar
3 cups (1 pound) baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
⅓ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
⅛ teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a regular size (12-cup) muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. To make bread crumbs: remove crust, break up bread and add to a blender or food processor. Process until the bread turns into crumbs.
3. In a large bowl, add the ground beef, bread crumbs, onions, egg whites, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix together until well.
4. Using a ⅓ cup measuring cup, fill 9 muffin cups. In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Spread about 2½ teaspoons topping all over the top of each meatloaf cupcake. Bake for 40 minutes.
5. While the meatloaf is baking, make the mashed potatoes. Add potatoes to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain potatoes into a colander and place drained potatoes back in the pot. Mash potatoes with a fork. Add the butter or Smart Balance, broth and a little salt and pepper. Turn flame to medium and continue to mash potatoes until smooth and all the ingredients are heated.
6. Remove meatloaf muffins from pan and place on paper towels to drain the fat. Top each with 2 rounded tablespoons of mashed potatoes and serve.
Makes 9 meatloaf cupcakes