Potato Latkes Recipe or Draniki as Russians call them are pancakes made of finely shredded potatoes, egg, and some flour. They are delicious served with some sour cream or applesauce.
These are classic old world classic potato pancakes well loved by Slavic people. We call them draniki or deruny and they are super yummy for breakfast, lunch or even dinner. These potato pancakes are made by grating raw potatoes into the batter – weird but so good! They are a favorite in our house.
One of our favorite foods is draniki, Russian-style potato pancakes. Perfect with sour cream!
Ingredients for Potato Latkes (Draniki):
- 4-5 large potatoes peeled, cut in quarters
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 2-3 tbsp flour
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup oil
How to make Potato Latkes (Draniki):
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and grind until it resembles batter with no large chunks, about 4 minutes.
- Alternatively, grate the potatoes and onion on the star grater until a fine puree forms.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together.
- Heat couple tablespoons of oil in a skillet, add a large spoonful of ‘potato pancake batter’.
- Brown on each side (about 3-4 minutes per side) covered with a lid.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve right away, with sour cream or applesauce.
- Finish the rest of the batter, in the above-described manner.
- You should get about 16-20 potato latkes.