This candy-colored confection is a fun, fruity feast that looks great and tastes even better! It gets majority of its flavor and color from cherries, both maraschino cherries and cherry jello, but it also has a touch of pineapple in the frosting to round out the overall flavor and bring a little more brightness to the dish. Just thinking about it we need another slice right now!
Feel like being transported to Florida? Allow this pink flamingo cake to lead the way!
- 1 (15.25 oz.) package white cake mix
- 1 (3.5 oz.) cherry jello mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (3.4 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (16 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (8 oz.) jar maraschino cherries, halved, juices reserved
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat cherry jello mix, vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract into white cake mix until just combined, then pour into greased baking dish.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place crushed pineapple, with juices, and halved cherries in a large bowl and sprinkle pudding mix on top.
- Fold in frozen whipped topping and 1/4 cup cherry juice until smooth and combined, adding more cherry juice, if desired.
- Frost (cooled) cake and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until set.