Mexican Chicken Casserole – With lean chicken, healthy veggies, and perfectly balanced zesty flavor… this one pan meal will definitely be making a regular dinner time appearance!
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 14.5 ounces black beans drained & rinsed
- 14.5 ounces Mild or Original Rotel, juices strained and discarded (canned tomatoes & chilies – see Note below)
- 1.5 pounds chicken tenders
- 2 sweet peppers (yellow, orange or red), thinly sliced
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- Garnish with your favorite toppings: cilantro leaves, avocado, guacamole, green onions, jalapeños, sour cream, salsa or salsa verde
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for homemade taco seasoning then set aside.
Spray cooking spray in the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
Add black beans, cover with a can of Rotel, then layer the chicken tenders on top, spaced evenly.
Sprinkle on half of the taco seasoning, followed by the peppers and onions, and then sprinkle on the rest of the taco seasoning. Cover evenly with shredded cheese.
Bake covered for 35-40 minutes, until the veggies are still a little al dente and the chicken temp reads 165F or higher. Garnish and enjoy!
Rotel can be found near the canned tomatoes or in the international aisle of the grocery store. I used the mild version of Rotel for this recipe, for a spicier dish use the original Rotel.