My husband is a meatloaf lover and he thoroughly enjoyed this dish! Next time I would cut back on the liquids a bit as we like a firmer meatloaf. I might play around with some of the spices.
The meatloaf was amazingly delicious and moist. The mashed potatoes, which I changed up by making homemade mashed potatoes and adding garlic, Parmesan cheese, and sour cream, added another whole level of flavor. This dish was amazing! I love that even just changing a few simple things made it even better for my family.
Cowboy Meatloaf and Potato Casserole creates a new spin on an old family favorite. The blend of BBQ sauce and cheesy potatoes with bacon bits gives new life to a humdrum meal.
This recipe is both easy and very adaptable to just how much you want to make from scratch and how much you want to use shortcuts… either way.. this makes for an excellent weeknight meal.
- 1 package Ore-Ida® Steam n’ Mash® Cut Russet Potatoes
- 1 pound ground lean meat (beef or turkey)
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Jack Daniel’s® Barbecue Sauce, Honey Smokehouse™
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup crispy fried onions, canned
- 2/3 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 9×9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, Barbecue Sauce, egg, chili powder, and salt until well mixed. Gently press into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Carefully pour off any excess fat if needed. Adjust oven to broil and place oven rack 6 to 8 inches from heat source.