Every Friday I do a book themed cocktails and food pairing on my IG (this week was Gone With the Wind…so Southern keto comfort food for the win). I was so excited that this idea for this recipe turned out as well as it did I thought I’d share this morning! You could easily make this into full size steaks, but I really like the nuggets because it made it finger food friendly and fun to share too. I did a shallow pan fry but I bet these would also be great in an air fryer (I don’t have one).
Keto Chicken Fried Steak Nuggets with Gravy
Print Recipe Serves: 24 Cooking Time: 30-40 min.
- For the Chicken Fried Steak:
- 3 lbs Cube Steak, cut into 2×2″ pieces
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 4 oz. Bag, Pork Rinds, crushed
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 2 Eggs
- Splash of Milk
- Oil for Shallow Frying
- For the Gravy:
- 1 1/2 cups Half & Half
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- Begin by cutting the cube steak into 2×2″ sized pieces. Season the pieces with salt and pepper.
- Crush the pork rinds into crumbs in a plastic bag (or use a food processor) and season them with salt and pepper. Mix in 1 tsp xanthan gum (helps the pork rinds stick to the steak better during frying but not crucial for this to work). Place the mixture into a shallow dish and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add a splash of milk.
- Dredge each piece of cube steak in the egg wash and then in the pork rind mixture.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add a shallow amount of oil (about 1/4″ thick) into the pan so it coats the bottom. I always like to test one piece out first to assess the temperature and make adjustments to the oil. Cook the chicken fried steak nuggets in about 3-4 batches. Continue to adjust the oil temperature as needed (or change the oil out if needed). I cooked the nuggets for about 3 minutes per side and placed the cooked nuggets onto a paper towel lined plate.
- In a small pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the xanthan gum (almost like you would a roux).
- Slowly whisk in the half and half until everything is combined. The gravy will thicken fairly quickly, stir continuously to prevent scorching.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (I prefer 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp of pepper personally).
- Place the gravy in a small dish for dipping alongside a plate of keto chicken fried steak nuggets.