Try this inexpensive and fresh version of a chicken casserole–no need for processed soups or sauces!
Servings Per Recipe: 6 | Serving Size: 1 serving
SmartPoints: 4 | Calories 134.1 | Total Fat 4.6 g | Saturated Fat 2.5 g | Cholesterol 74.2 mg | Sodium 249.0 mg | Potassium 335.3 mg | Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g | Dietary Fiber 2.2 g | Sugars 3.0 g | Protein 10.3 g
- 12 oz cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 2 T all purpose flour
- 2 T butter, unsalted
- 10 oz skim milk
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1 T parmesan cheese, grated
- 7 oz penne pasta, whole wheat
- 2 yellow or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 heads, approx. 12 ounces broccoli, chopped
- 1/3 c monterey jack cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- Prepare the white sauce by placing the butter in a small sauce pot that has been preheated over medium heat.
- Once the butter foams, add flour and stir for 1 minute; try not to let the mixture turn brown.
- Add milk to the mixture and continue to stir until it starts to bubble. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pepper, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese to the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- During the last minute of the pasta’s cooking, add the chopped broccoli to the water. Allow to simmer for one minute.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli. Spritz the bottom and sides of a 9 X 13 oven-proof casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta and broccoli with the chicken and chopped vegetables; cover with the sauce. Place in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the Monterey jack cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes; remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is melted.
Servings Per Recipe: 6 |Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving | Smartpoints 9 | Calories 320.6 | Total Fat 8.9 g | Saturated Fat 4.4 g | Cholesterol 51.8 mg | Sodium 175.3 mg | Potassium 1,093.1 mg | Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g | Dietary Fiber 8.8 g | Sugars 4.0 g | Protein 27.9 g