Make this cheesy appetizer up to 2 months ahead. Simply thaw and bake before party time.
Flaky puff pastry with Dijon mustard, ham, swiss, caramelized onions, and a garlic-herb egg wash. This Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Slab Pie is great for Game Day, a casual brunch, or using leftover holiday ham.
Ham & Cheese Slab Pie – delicious hot ham and cheese puff pastry sandwiches. Only a few simple ingredients – ham, swiss cheese, cream cheese, honey mustard, and puff pastry. Brush pies with an egg wash to get a nice golden color. We love these for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner. Can make in advance and freeze unbaked for later! A great alternative to plain ham and cheese sandwiches!
This Ham and Cheese Slab Pie can serve as an appetizer at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, or Mother’s Day. OR…feed your hungry game watchers. Using ready made puff pastry really makes this Ham and Cheese Slab Pie easy to make and delicious!
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1/2 lb ham, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll each sheet of puff pastry into a 12×15-inch rectangle and transfer each sheet to prepared baking
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and mustard until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over half of each puff pastry sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge.
- Place 1/2 of the ham and 1/2 of the cheese over cream cheese on each puff pastry sheet.
- Sprinkle thyme evenly over the top of each.
- Fold uncoated half of puff pastry over the filling.
- Crimp edges together with a fork.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water.
- Brush puff pastry with egg wash and cut a few slits in puff pastry.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Slice, serve.