I came up with this recipe because I always enjoy pickles on the side with my basic grilled cheese sandwich. So one day I decided just to put my pickles on the sandwich in addition to some other favorite ingredients. I think it turned out really delicious!
Sandwiches don’t have to be just for brown bags at lunch time. They also don’t have to be super simple. Up your lunch game with these savory Dill Pickle & Vidalia Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich. It’s a flavor profile you can’t help but love together, sandwiches between two slices of buttery golden brown bread crusts.
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 dill pickle, sliced
- 2 thin slices Vidalia or other sweet onion
- Butter one side of each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Place one bread slice butter-side-down into the skillet, and top with the Cheddar cheese, pickle slices, and onion.
- Place the remaining slice of bread butter-side-up onto the sandwich.
- Cook until crispy and golden brown on both sides, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 683 calories; 55.3 g total fat; 151 mg cholesterol; 956 mg sodium.
- 26.2 g carbohydrates; 22.1 g protein.