Chunks of chicken tossed in a thick french onion gravy loaded with sautéed Vidalia onions and melted Swiss cheese. This is great served over slices of french bread, egg noodles or rice.
This French Onion Chicken Skillet is a delicious weeknight dinner that is a play on French onion soup and packed with protein, making it a full meal. This will become one of your favorite chicken skillet recipes!
Saucy one pan French Onion Chicken with juicy pan-seared chicken smothered in caramelized onion gravy and three kinds of melty Italian cheese. This 30-minute meal will be a staple in your house!
This Skillet French Onion Chicken is made with juicy chicken breasts topped with caramelized onions, two kinds of Ooey Gooey melted cheese, in a rich velvety sauce. Plus it is all made in one skillet which makes it so easy!
- 2 pounds Vidalia onions, sliced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, oven-proof pan or skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until softened and caramelized.
- Add balsamic vinegar and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until darkened, but not burned.
- Remove onions from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Heat remaining olive oil in skillet and raise heat to medium-high.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, thyme and sage, then place in skillet and sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove chicken from heat and set aside.
- Pour beef broth into skillet and bring mixture to a boil, scraping up stuck bits from the bottom of pan.
- Return heat to medium-low and whisk in flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Return chicken and onions to pan, stir together with beef gravy, then top with grated swiss cheese.
- Transfer skillet to oven and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly, and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and serve hot. Enjoy!