Doughnut of the season award goes to these Apple Pie Filled Doughnuts – fried yeast doughnuts stuffed with homemade apple pie filling then dusted with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
Apple pie is amazing and so are homemade donuts. Together they are perfection! Everyone loves apple pie filled donuts with a cinnamon glaze.
Soft, fluffy, Apple Pie Donuts taste just like the real thing. Spiced to perfection and loaded with real apple pie filling, these donuts are incredible for breakfast, dessert or midnight snack.
Homemade apple cider donuts are cakey, dense, intensely flavored, and baked not fried. These donuts come together quickly and easily– a convenient recipe for crisp fall mornings.
Easy Gourmet Doughnuts made in 30 minutes! Biscuits are the perfect base to these doughnuts piled high with Cream Cheese frosting, apple pie filling, caramel and peanuts!
For the donuts:
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 oz each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm apple cider (110°F)
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup apple pie filling, no large fruit pieces
For the cinnamon-sugar:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F with a rack in the center of the oven.
- Add the yeast and warm cider to a small bowl and set aside until it foams up, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the 6 tablespoons melted butter and sugar and whisk until combined.
- Whisk in egg yolks, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, yeast mixture, and 3 cups of the flour.
- Beat on medium-low speed with an electric mixer or dough hook until smooth.
- Add remaining flour and beat until a ball of dough starts to form.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl that’s been greased with oil or nonstick spray.
- Cover and set aside in a warm spot until dough has tripled in size, about 1 hour.
- Gently punch down dough, turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead dough 7-8 times until smooth and uniform in texture.
- Roll dough out to 1/2-inch thick rectangle, and cut out in circles using a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter.
- Re-roll scraps and cut out enough donuts to make 12 total.
- Place donuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover lightly with Saran Wrap and let rise until puffy, 45 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown and puffed, 10-12 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar.
- Brush donuts with remaining melted butter and roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- If your apple pie filling has large chunks, mash it using a fork or immersion blender into small pieces. (It doesn’t need to be pureed.)
- Place apple pie filling in a piping bag, cut a slit in each donut and pipe filling into each one.