FOR THE SOUP
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 14.5 ounce fire roasted diced tomatoes w/green chilies
- 1 11 ounce can corn
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper red pepper flakes, optional
- 3 tablespoons crushed corn tortilla chips
- 3 chicken breasts or 3 cups cubed rotisserie chicken meat
- 2 limes; 1 juiced and 1 cut into wedges for serving
- 1 cup heavy cream
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Favorite shredded Mexican cheese
- Corn tortilla chips or strips
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Fresh avocado slices
- Lime wedges
- Jalapeno slices
FOR THE SOUP:
- Crush enough tortilla chips to make 3 tablespoons and set aside.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat, and add the vegetable oil.
- Add onions and cook 3 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add jalapenos and cook an additional 1-minute.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, beans, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper and crushed corn tortilla chips.
- If using chicken breasts, add them now and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts and use two forks to shred. Transfer the shredded chicken back into the pot. (If using chopped rotisserie chicken, add it now.)
- Add lime juice and heavy cream. Stir well and season with salt & pepper. Cook until heated through.
- TO SERVE:
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with shredded cheese, corn tortilla chips, a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serve a wedge of lime and a few slices of avocado.